Old town Croydon is rich in history and played its part in the growth of the Town throughout the Centuries . As we progress with this website, we will build up more information on the historical points within our area.
Croydon Minster is dedicated to dedicated to St John the Baptist. There has been a church here from 960AD but some records suggest a religious community around this site as far back as 809AD. The Doomsday book 1086AD. Croydon is already a town as it had a population of around 300 people.
In 1867, the church suffered a major fire which destroyed all but the outside walls and the tower. In 1890, the church was reconsecrated which after being re-designed, still had some of the old monuments saved from the existing church.
Surrey Street original name was “Butchers Row” as the area was known for its trading in livestock & meats. In 1276, Archbishop Robert Kilwardby acquired a Charter for a market to be held on a Wednesday in Surrey Street. It is one of the longest operational markets in the South of England. Nobody actually knows when the first market was formed or in fact its original location, as some locals suggest it was in a road known as Market Street.
The Pump House
The building which many people think is a Church is actually two buildings. In 1846 part of the building used to be the atmospheric railway pumping house located in West Croydon. In 1851, the building was moved brick by brick to its current location to become the main Water Pumping Station for the Town. Croydon was one of the very first areas in England to provide fresh water to its community.
The Croydon Slums
Old town area which had many other alleys and roads including Streeters Hill, Market Street, Kings Street, all of which disappeared at the same time as the second Town Hall was demolished and replaced by the current Town Hall in the 1880′s. Further demolition and reconstruction of the area took place in the 1950′s. Some of the old streets do still exist including the bottom end of Bell Hill and Overtons Yard.
Many of Croydon’s Public houses were located in the Old Town area. Today very few of the originals exist, however by bar far the oldest is the Dog and Ball in Surrey Street.